A great concept that we wholly agree with. There is not enough awareness when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning, especially when other things are on our mind like of the young woman in the story below. Moving abroad or just moving in general, as well as holidays can mean our guard is down when it comes to CO safety. It is important to remain aware at all times, read the article and get behind the campaign. Read our blog for more CO safety information
Father of teacher killed by carbon monoxide poisoning calls for national campaign
A man whose daughter was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning has called for greater awareness among Brits abroad.
Mark Dingley spoke at Westminster last week at an event convened by the All Party Parliamentary Carbon Monoxide Group (APPCOG).
Mr Dingley’s daughter Francesca died in Chengdu, China, in February 2015 aged 22, having just moved to the country to start work as an English teacher.
She was killed in her flat by carbon monoxide fumes from an incorrectly installed water heater.
Mr Dingley urged for alarms to be seen as “essential” travel items and for the industry to do more to encourage the public to take detectors with them when they go abroad.
He said: “People die needlessly from carbon monoxide simply because they know nothing about it.
“Educating the general population is key, the government, travel industry and energy suppliers could all do far more to raise awareness.
“We would like to see prominent and robust warnings in government travel advice, at airports and in ferry terminals, in railway and bus stations, in holiday brochures and on travel websites. Detectors should be available in the shops at airports and ferry terminals as well as in the travel sections of large retailers.”
Mr Dingley called for a national advertising campaign, and said advice on government websites must be delivered more forcefully.
On its website, the Foreign Office recommends those living in China should ensure their home contains a working carbon monoxide alarm.
David Burrowes, MP for Enfield Southgate and APPCOG member, said: “I was pleased to bring the Dingley family’s tragic loss to the attention of Parliament so that vital lifesaving lessons are learned.
“We are calling for action from the travel industry to make holiday and longer stay destinations safer, and for more awareness about the risks amongst the wider population, in order to empower people to protect themselves from the silent killer, both at home and abroad.
Please read the full article here…
All of us should be remaining aware, not just for ourselves but also for friends and family. You, or someone you know is probably going on holiday some time soon. Ensure they are aware of the risks of carbon monoxide when staying in hotels or camping. You can take a carbon monoxide alarm with you. Many places do not have the strict regulations this country has or have things made to British standard and you cannot rely on the hope that other people have done their jobs correctly. Mistakes do happen, don’t let this kind of tragedy happen to you. Carbon monoxide news stories here.
Source of article
can be viewed by clicking here